The world's first Wi-Fi 6 IoT chip! Broadcom integration redefines IoT wireless communication
A few days ago, Broadcom Integrated Circuit (Shanghai) Co., Ltd. (603068.SH)'s BK7236 chip took the lead in passing the Wi-Fi 6 certification test of the International Wi-Fi Alliance ("Wi-Fi Alliance"), becoming the world's first Wi-Fi support. Fi 6 IoT chip. This chip redefines the Wi-Fi connection ecology of the original IoT application and opens a new chapter for the Internet of Things to enter the Wi-Fi 6 era.
Wi-Fi application overview
With the advent of the Internet of Everything era, tens of billions or even hundreds of billions of smart devices are connected to the cloud every year. In the application of wireless LAN, Wi-Fi (Wireless Fidelity) technology almost has a monopoly. According to statistics from the Wi-Fi Alliance, there are currently more than 10 billion Wi-Fi devices used for wireless connections worldwide, and more than half of the data traffic is carried and implemented through Wi-Fi. Because Wi-Fi technology has the characteristics of short-distance transmission and high speed, it is the first to realize large-scale applications on consumer electronic terminal devices such as mobile phones and notebook computers, and has gradually penetrated into application scenarios such as the Internet of Things and virtual reality.
At the same time, in the past 20 years, Wi-Fi technical standards have also continued to evolve, and the evolution direction is to continue to increase bandwidth and increase the rate of information transmission. From the original 3rd generation 802.11.ag can only transmit text files, only suitable for sending and receiving emails, to the 4th generation 802.11n can be used to browse the web, to the 5th generation 802.11ac can be used for smooth video playback. However, any previous generation of Wi-Fi has an inherent application limitation, which is the problem of transmission bandwidth when multiple devices coexist. It was not until the Wi-Fi Alliance launched the latest standard Wi-Fi 6 that this problem was satisfactorily resolved.
Wi-Fi6 technical characteristics
Wi-Fi 6 introduces wireless communication technologies such as OFDMA, MU-MIMO, 1024QAM, BSS Coloring, TWT, etc., to completely solve the problem of communication bandwidth utilization efficiency when multi-users coexist, and at the same time achieve large capacity, high rate and low latency. Features, these advantages and characteristics, will greatly promote the wide application of Wi-Fi 6 technology in the field of Internet of Things.
1. OFDMA (Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiple Access): The wireless channel is divided into multiple sub-channels (sub-carriers) in the frequency domain to form multiple time-frequency resource blocks. User data is carried on each resource block without occupying The entire channel can realize simultaneous transmission of multiple users in each time period, thereby improving efficiency and reducing waiting time delay in queuing.
2. MU-MIMO (multi-user, multiple-input, multiple-output): Multiple-input multiple-output technology has become one of the key technologies of the next generation of wireless communication systems. Compared with single-user MIMO, multi-user MIMO can effectively increase system throughput and communication efficiency.
3. 1024 QAM: QAM is quadrature amplitude modulation, the process of converting data signals into radio waves for transmission. The higher the QAM level, the more data contained in the wireless signal transmitted each time. Wi-Fi 5 supports 256 QAM, while Wi-Fi 6 supports 1024 QAM, and the data transmission rate is further improved.
4. BSS Coloring: BSS Coloring is a method to solve the problem of increasing spatial reuse rate due to overlapping basic service sets. By adding BSS Color to the data header, data can be transmitted on the same channel without mutual interference.
5. TWT: Wi-Fi 6 uses TWT timing wake-up technology to define different wake-up times for each terminal. Only the terminal device enters the working state after receiving its own wake-up information, and the rest of the time is in the sleep state, which is significant Reduce system power consumption.
Wi-Fi 6 market outlook
It is precisely because of the obvious performance improvement of Wi-Fi 6 in terms of transmission bandwidth, delay, connection density, etc., its scene adaptability is also significantly enhanced, and the market capacity will grow rapidly.
According to Gartner's estimates, the Wi-Fi 6 market will reach US$22 billion by 2025, with an average annual compound growth rate of 114%. In the next few years, wireless products based on Wi-Fi 6 will quickly enter the market and become a key force in wireless connection applications.
Broadcom Integration released the world's first IoT Wi-Fi 6 chip BK7236
As a leading wireless chip manufacturer, Beken aims at the smart home IoT application scenario with the largest market capacity and the broadest application scenarios, and launched the world's first Wi-Fi 6 chip BK7236 for the Internet of Things.
Compared with the Wi-Fi 4 products currently used in the Internet of Things, the BK7236 based on the Wi-Fi 6 protocol has significant advantages, including:
1. Longer communication distance, stronger anti-interference ability
The indoor OFDM mode communication distance of BK7236 reaches 100 meters, which is twice as fast as Wi-Fi 4. This performance will significantly improve the user experience of Wi-Fi products such as smart lights, smart sockets and smart switch products.
2. Ultra-low power consumption, long battery life
In a multi-user scenario, the power consumption of BK7236 is only 1/3 of Wi-Fi 4 products. The reduction in power consumption will greatly benefit the application of Wi-Fi products in battery-powered application scenarios, thereby effectively promoting the development of the IoT smart connection market.
3. Larger capacity and throughput
Under the requirement of 100ms response time, using BK7236 can support 160 connected devices. Compared with Wi-Fi 4 products, the total throughput and capacity are increased by 4 times.
4. Higher speed
BK7236 supports a data transfer rate of 230 Mbps, which is more than 50% higher than Wi-Fi 4 products.
Other technical features of BK7236
As the world's first Wi-Fi 6 chip applied in the field of Internet of Things, BK7236 adds support for the new features of Wi-Fi 6, and fully considers the actual application needs of the market. It also has the following features:
1. Integrate Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth dual-mode 5.2 standards;
2. Support both classic Bluetooth and low energy Bluetooth connections;
3. Support rich peripherals, such as PWM, I2C, UART, SPI, SDIO and IrDA;
4. Support low-power sleep mode, MCU can enter sleep state, reaching microampere sleep current;
5. Support classic Bluetooth 1 Mbps rate connection, while supporting BLE 5.2 rate and all functions, including Long Range, High Data Rate, and four-antenna AoA/AoD positioning;
6. A true random number generator and a security module are integrated inside to ensure the security of communication and fast identity verification and network connection.
7. BK7236 product adopts QFN 4X4 package, which is the smallest package of Wi-Fi products in the world, which is very suitable for the design and development of embedded products.
With the promotion of Wi-Fi 6 technology, the application of Wi-Fi 6 on the Internet of Things will become more and more widespread. The BK7236 product of Broadcom Integration (Beken), with its multi-device access, high anti-interference ability, longer communication distance, lower power consumption and other characteristics, will be included in the smart home appliance market (refrigerators, air conditioners, etc.), drones and The Internet of Things fields such as the model airplane market, module market, and electrical (lighting and socket switch) market will play a greater role.
About Broadcom Integration
Broadcom Integrated Circuit (Shanghai) Co., Ltd. (stock abbreviation: Broadcom Integration, code: 603068.SH) was established in December 2004. The company was founded by a technical team from Silicon Valley in the United States, focusing on smart transportation and smart home applications. A leading enterprise in the field of wireless connection chip design for the Internet of Things. The company is headquartered in Zhangjiang Hi-Tech Park, Pudong New Area, Shanghai, and has subsidiaries and technology branches in Shenzhen, Hong Kong, Taipei, Hsinchu, Athens, Beijing, Hangzhou and other places.